Thursday, June 09, 2005

The perfect bike fit

What is the perfect bike fit? As a perpetual beginner like me, it simply translate into riding in a comfortable position thus generating efficient power for every stroke. But, like I said, as a beginner, the idea of having a fitting bike on your own is a bit hard to conceive.

I've adjusted my saddle height a few good times already. Now, its better when I ride 20-30 clicks but when I wound up the cadence, I started to bounce. Again. Duh, this needs adjustment. More height? How bout fore-aft position? Tilt? Not forgetting my 110mm stem. Its an ol skool 7 shape stem. My back hurts! I definitely have to change to a shorter stem. But, is it the stem? Maybe its the handlebar? Or could it possibly be just me that's not made to ride?

There are many 'gurus' out there advocating the rule of thumb to a bike fit. Some even contradicts with each other. A lot has been said about pedal position, saddle position and what not. Which one to follow? Luckily I dont have an aerobar yet. Otherwise I will definitely succumb to the tri bike fit. Which could prove to be inappropriate to me.

Man, this biking business is not that easy. At least not when your back hurts.

No comments: