Monday, June 20, 2005

Back of the pack..

Yesterday was Utusan-Bangi 10km. I was there. In fact, I might be on tv. I dunno. But one thing for sure. I didnt race. Not even against myself. I decided to sit at the back of the pack with a friend of mine. This was her first run, and she never did more than 5k before.

Being at the back of the pack was totally a different experience. No feeling of urgency, yet everyone aims to finish the run. To cross the finish line was a success itself. Thats how I started as well. Just to cross the line.

Once we passed a makcik who seems like having a cramp on her left thigh.
"Makcik, ok?", I asked.
"Makcik boleh lagi, rasa cramp sikit ni. Ambulan offer makcik naik, tapi makcik nak cuba habiskan sendiri".

Spirit and determination. And I'm not talking about those competetive looking makcik. This was just the regular kind of people. Those who run in event t-shirt.

Nearing the finishing chute, I realised some of the events on stage has started. I finished the run in 1hour 34 mins. I am satisfied with myself. Having an experience like this at the back of the pack is, just difficult now. But I'm glad I had it. As for my friend, she did finish ahead of me.
Now people, go run?

No comments: