Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sounds very familiar isn't it?

I got this from marathonguide.com . It was last year's comment of KLIM from a Canadian dude.
Here goes:

Everything sucks but the people and weather! (2001)
KL International Marathon, March 4, 2001 -
Registration: location impossible to find for a stranger to KL; unfriendly staff, not helpful, unknowledgeable (on water/replenishment stops, aid stations, route map, etc.); race number printed on cloth bib (was it a kids' race?); too much bureaucracy.
- Official 'Guidelines': printed on 4 flimsy pages which disintegrated in the rain; route map was illegible and useless (the Web-map was just as bad); some instructions were laughable: 'must wear official t-shirt', 'drinking at unofficial stations will not be entertained'
- Check-In: Given a 'report card' to hand in at starting area - don't know the purpose when running no. bib would do; another bureaucratic fumble.
- Check-Out: 'Luggage cards' were issued for checked-in belongings - don't know the purpose when running no. bib would do; would have had to carry it for 26 miles! I threw mine away. - Check Points: marathoners were supposed to be given two tokens on the course for hand-in at finish; this didn't happen, instead a piece of string/banner was tied round one's neck and collected at the finish...strange, maybe I could have hung myself if I didn't finish!
- Transport: to use LRT, pay only 75% fare with running bib - where in hell am I to carry my Ringgits for the fare?
- Replenishment Drink: I choked on the CARBONATED drink provided on the course; I think it was called Isotonic 100 and should be BANNED from races - get me some Gatorade!
- Course: It was pitch-black on part of the course on Jalan Lapangan Terbang (near the old airport) and I tripped twice in potholes! Worse, the downtown traffic jams near Jalan Raja Laut and Jalan Raja Muda with fumes spewing out of cars, buses and trucks into the face of runners - I had seriously considered abandoning the race at this point - it was too dangerous.
- Finish Area: couldn't find any replenishment drink which I needed in my dehydrated state; luckily, I had a bottle of saline solution in my checked-in baggage (when I found it). - Baggage Pick-up: had trouble finding it; when I did, it was unattended and I could have walked away with some nice stuff!

Most of the things said did happen again this year. Maybe it's just the way Malaysian organisers say, "Welcome to the Malaysian way of organising. If you're not tough enough, go back you sissy ass!"

No comments: