Monday, March 28, 2005

Duathlon

The one and only such events we have in Malaysia is, Malakoff Malaysian Duathlon Series (MMDS) which is kinda a warm-up circuit for the big thing--Powerman Malaysia. Having recently watched the event up-close and personal (nothing personal lah!), I noticed some interesting 'thing' about those who participate.

Most, I say most, of the participants are actually cyclist. The age grouper la. How can I tell? Well easily you can see from the bike set-up la. And the cleats they're wearing as well. I'm no expert in this area but in an event that requires you to get off the saddle and cleats as quickly as possible in T2 (transition 2), you cant afford to slip and fall on your ass on your way to park your bike!

Furthermore, I saw Fallanie Ali. Alaa..the national cyclist tu. Naik Colnago kut.

I think its kinda 'their' (cyclist) hunting ground la. Unlike running, cycling events aren't that many year round. So where else to cari makan and unleash the competition in you! Man, i bet if they train really-really (say it like Shebby) good for just this event, they will excel in it. I mean come on, its 4 races a year! You should be able to train big volumes before the series starts. A good example is Heidilee and Mariana Mohamad. Heidilee beat Shahrom overall. He's an age grouper.

Who else did I see in the race? Hmm there's Wong Ah Thiam the triathlete, Dr Fiona Lim- Ironman finisher, and not forgetting the true Malaysian Powerman, Shaharom. He was first to come in T2. This guys are pros. And sponsored.

All in all, I think all the participants and the organisers (QuickRelease) have done a pretty good job. This goes to Azwar and Wendy whom I met at the race. Yeah. I'll run-bike-run against you guys, next year. Then after that boleh swim-bike-run kut. Heheh..

No comments: