Thursday, March 17, 2005

A newbie first race report!

A race report by a friend of mine, Linz that courageously took the step to the starting line, and determined to cross the finish line. She just took up running recently, and hopefully she will run more races in the future! :)
Kuala Lumpur International Marathon – 6th March 2005

Promised a friend to write about my adventure in the recent KLIM- last Sunday. So here it goes:I was wide awake even before my alarm clock rang at 4 AM! Today is the day that I’ve been waiting for. The day that will test my determination and physical strength. Been practicing for this event for the last 8 weeks. I’m nervous but yet excited to join the run today. Boleh ker aku nih??? How did I ever get myself involved in this 10km run at the first place? But what the heck, it’s too late to change my mind now. No turning back.
Took the LRT from Ampang Park to Masjid Jamek. Found out that each train was 11 minutes apart. Lucky enough my train was two minutes away. If not, I’ll be very2 late and might ended up being the spectator for the event. Arrived 5 minutes before 7.00 am. Jogged from Masjid Jamek station to the starting line, a quick warm up. Lucky I did my stretching before I left home.
Wai yoh!…a huge crowd of participants already waiting excitedly at the starting point. I knew it then that it would be quite impossible to find my friend there (yes, I’m supposed to be there earlier..sorry yek).
Registered myself and I was given a yellow ribbon. No idea what is that for-proof of registration?? Since this is my first time ever participating in such event, I was a little bit clueless. Looked funny to have the yellow ribbon around my neck. Felt like a running monk lak. So instead I tied the ribbon on my left wrist.
Joined the large crowd again after depositing my bag. I was a bit irritated by the person who manned the baggage counter. The run is about to begin and there were only one person handling the baggage and the queue was long. Why can’t they have more helpers there since they knew that the race was about to begin? But lesson learnt, next time, don’t bring any bag. Senang citer.
3…2…1..honkkkkk! The race has started! A slow start for me coz there were thousands of participants (old, young, school children) in front of and around me. There was no rush for me coz my aim was to complete the 10km course. To win? far than possible. First 20? Very unlikely..(my boss won the bet already – no RM499 nike shoes for me. Ceh!) To complete? Most likely..Within 1 hour 30 minutes? Can try…
The starting/finishing point was at Dataran Merdeka, so 10km was one big round around KL. Less than 2 minutes of running- just after Daya Bumi, I heard a guy told his friend....read more here

No comments: