Monday, April 11, 2005

Stay-at-home mom

I cant help but to write this. Yesterday, while I was reading The cyclist Companion by John Howard, I heard Mike Reilly said (yes, I was watching Ironman Arizona live on my computer as well) "Welcome home Katherine Bell, 34-year old stay-at-home mom, you are an Ironman!"

I was like, what? Quickly I turned my attention to the screen. Damn. A 34-year old stay-at-home mom finished an Ironman in 14 hours. I'm sure if we have a lot of mommy like this, Malaysia wouldn't be the Malaysia I know anymore.

But the question is, Malaysians always perceive involvement in sports should be at a competitive level. So, there goes the fun in it. When you invite a friend to run a charity 5k run, they will almost immediately decline and say, "Mana larat. Kalah aku nanti". Duh.

I think because of this mentality, most Malaysian shy away from doing simple activities such as walking or running, because its embedded in their mind that they wont be able to bring home the prize at the end of the day. So why bother? Yeah, to win is something but winning isn't everything.

The runs in Malaysia, not much colour in it. You will definitely see people clad in running vests and split shorts, armed with their Timex 50 lap memory or something. Can you see people in costumes? Can you see people making fun of themselves during the run? Its the biggest running event in Malaysia FCOL! I doubt it. I tried. But I couldn't find any costumes.

Ahh...I'm fighting a lost cause here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laaa..naper tak tanya awal2 nak carik costume. Go to this shop.My uncle rented one frm this shop last year.

Fun Costume Shop
Suite 1.02 1st Floor, Wisma Di Cor,Jalan SS17/1A
Subang Jaya.
Tel:5635249 Fax 56323304

1 costume RM50.00 + RM50.00 refundable deposit...but U can have anything with that for free like Wig,shoes,belts or whatever things... there's a lot of costumes with different themes to choose from.

tank said...

haa! really ka? yahuu!!