Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Have you ever bonk?

Or hit the wall? I nearly did today. Shit. Bonking is not good. It is worse during training. All this was due to lack of food for lunch. That's why you have to watch what you eat.

This is what happened:

As I was about to finish my first lap of my run at Tasik Titiwangsa, I felt a bit cold; almost that shivering feeling when you had a fever which in fact, at that moment was a ridiculous feeling for I was running! O'shit. This is it. If I were to continue, I'm gonna hit the ground and say hello to the tar. So I stopped. Wish I had some energy gels lying around the park. This is not good folks.

Good nutrition all day round will ensure that you have adequate amount glycogen stored in your body, especially during a morning workout. Not enough fuel in your tank, and you wont be going far my friend. Generally, a 60kg man with an active lifestyle would require about 2,400-2,600kcal per day. And we're not talking about loading up with nasi kandar in the afternoon and char kuey teow at night. Those kind of calories are not good. What we need is about 40-50% carb, 30% protein and 20-30% fat. Roughly. Its not that hard. Just portion out your meal and watch what you're eating. And your mealtime. If you want to experience bonking, try not to watch your mealtime, and go have your regular workout. I have to say that it is not a pleasant feeling. Not even for a 3k run.

2 comments:

Julian said...

Eesshhh, I'm all too familiar with it. First time kena was Desaru. Well, my bonking really kau kau that one. Had that chilling feeling a couple of times during some subsequent races, then I slow down. Still slightly phobia about Desaru, also. Now I'm really cautious about it la.. sports drink, food, all that sh*t man.. hahaha.. jaga jaga!

tank said...

yeah i read about your desaru experience man. very scary one!