Friday, February 25, 2005

Kuantan

Went out of town for a while. Actually this is my second time for the second consecutive week. This week, im of to kuantan. Well, having lived here before, there's not much anticipation bout it. Maybe just the feeling of going out of town makes it a lil something.
So the drive was quite pleasant, in terms of drivability. The new highway is ready and smooth. No more sudden hiccups cos of you know going thru towns and all. Now, the drive has changed into an experience similar to driving the North-South Expressway. Just the traffic is a lot less. I think the Govt have made a good effort in building the new highway. Not like the highway is meant for govt supporters only but it can seriously cut travelling time (just 2.5 hours from KL!) and also reduce the accident rate--I hope. Which brings me to an acciedent happened en route to Kuantan. I dunno wat happened, it guess the bugger on the other side of the road rammed into the middle railings and--you've guessed wat happened--but nobody died. Seriously, the speed of 110km/h is a tad slow on this particular highway. Maybe its because there's not much traffic kut. So you feel the urge to get the driving over with. I'll continue later....

So the next day, I feel the urge to do some running. Woke up at 6:30, solat Subuh and all, and zoop!... out the door. I have chosen the route carefully so that I can cover at least 8k that day. I went out the hotel, and head straight to Teluk Chempedak!

The route I tell you, is anything but walker friendly! Almost no sidewalks are awailable! Such an daunting experience to have. Kuantan, being the prosperous city of Pahang, lack of sidewalks? Simply unbelievable. Seems like they have planned (did they?) the city to be vehicle-friendly only. Well I'm not hoping there will be sidewalk all the way to TC but at least here and there? And so, I battled my way with other motorists who gawk at me like they have never seen a man running before. It's true. I looked 'em in the eye. Dammit. All they expect is to excel in sports, want to have a sport culture and heck, they even want sports to be deemed important in universities they but when they see a [insert expletive] man runs, they [expletive] stare like they never seen one. Nonetheless, I agree with what the govt wants to do now, which is to cultivate sports a a part of living. A long way to go before we can have our own Rooney though. 18 and rich.

No comments: