Saturday, February 26, 2005

It's a hazy business

Finally, the word is out. We are experiencing slight to moderate haze due to the hot weather and forest fires. In our country alone, about 80 sq km of forest has been burnt (thanks abang bomba for putting it out!) and I don't really plan to stir the memories of haze that we had before nine years ago. It was terrible. School had to be closed (yeay!), regular activities were disrupted and health condition worsened. Luckily, I survived it without getting asthma or anything.

The National Environment Agency of Singapore has declared El Nino. Over the past few days, the number of hotspots (not the WiFi area ah!) in Kalimantan and Sumatra has increased significantly. They also expect the conditions to be dry up till October. Whereas here, Pak Lah 'has told us to be careful'.

I went out a while ago to do some business at the post office, and I was surprised (and baffled) to see the haze. Darn. I hate conditions like this. The heat I can stand but the haze? There is no way I'm going to have a decent run in an evening like this.
Usualy from my place, I can see the majestic Twin Towers.
But not today. That's how bad it is. I wonder if this condition stays or become worse, will the KL International Marathon be postponed? What about the F1? The organisers said that the current condition is nothing to be bothered and the fans will be in for an exciting race. Hmm..
As I'm typing this, there's thunder roaring in sky, and a few drops of rain came trickling on my awning. Oh rain, my saviour!

No comments: