Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I'm no Superman

What is it with Johor women? Not that there's anything wrong with them, but im just curious. Especially when it comes to religion. On many accounts, I have come upon women from Johor (JB to be specific) that claim they are religously sound, yet they broke some of the simplest rule of it. Not that they killed or commit adultery, but still, defiance to the same laws that applies to everbody else. And this is just my personal observation. I am not lashing out at anybody here.

Example no. 1

Zainah Anwar, Executive Director of Sisters in Islam. At the young age of 51, this fiesty, single, women activist hails from JB. She said : “I know about Islam. I am from Johor, I went to sekolah agama when I was a girl, read Mutaal Badrin.”

How about that? Mutaal Badrin is a compulsary reading if you go to sekolah agama in JB, if Im not mistaken. I have tried reading it. Aint easy I tell you. But, count me out ‘coz im still jahil.

She went to the famous Sultan Ibrahim Girls School.

Example no.2

My sister-in-law. An esteemed architect by her standards, she too is from JB. As a mother and wife, her non-apparent traits of both has somewhat contradict to her upbringing. Heck, she even went to umrah when nobody in this household ever did. A bright star, but fades way too quickly.

She received her secondary education at Muzaffar Syah, Melaka where water could be scarce. Hence, showering probably not a routine activity. Hehe.

Example no. 3

My ex-girlfriend. She too, went to SIGS. Just like Miss Zainah. Well, im not going to talk much about her, ‘coz she might be reading this. Plus, I don’t have bad things to say ‘bout her. And, she too read Mutaal Badrin.

So what is the connection between the three of them? Maybe a lot. But I will just point one. None of them, abide the simple rule of covering up. Not their bodies. But their hair. Isnt that the simplest thing to do? If it’s the simplest thing to do, it might as well the simplest thing to not do.

But one woman stands out, and its Zainah. For crying out loud, you are the head of an organisation that fight for women rights. Muslim women rights. And yet, you are like that. Im not saying that you are on the wrong side of the river. Probably if I ask you why you don’t wear a jilbab, you might have a 1,000 answers that can render me speechless.

Liberal. Maybe that’s the word. So if liberal, than we can go out to clubs, party and all, and be back just in time for Subuh, right?